Friday, October 08, 2004

Madvillainy = Boring, overrated shit

Greetings, bitches. You'll have to pardon my "honesty," but I work the 10pm-6am shift at a White Assholes, which basically means that I start getting fucked up around the same time that most people are actually just beginning their workday. I took a lunchtime excursion to a Jack in the Box today, and let's just say it was a lot more interesting than it should've been. I'm usually asleep right now, but your boy David invited me to contribute to this here Shrimp blog, so I figured I should probably write something just to make it, you know, official.

Anyhoo, the point of this post is this: I tried for months to get into this shit, but eventually I just gave up. Back when I was in college, I never would've guessed that MF Doom would begin to put out music that I could pretty much just shrug my shouders about. But what can I say? I was young then. That was like, several months ago. I was already aware that Madlib has a tendency to put out all kinds of random garbage, and had always assumed that, if it weren't for Peanut Butter Wolf, or whomever is in charge of keeping 'Lib in check, he would've, by this point, been putting out recordings of himself taking shits onto various kinds of surfaces and calling it something stupid like, New Excursions into Yesterday's Jazz.

But Zev Luv X, or Danny, or whatever he prefers to be called had a pretty solid track record up until just recently. I thought even obviously tossed-off mess like the King Geedorah album was pretty effing brilliant. But between this and whatever that second Viktor Vaughan album was called, dude is in serious danger of slipping into Kool Keith status; where I don't even bother to dl his shit when it comes out, let alone buy it. Don't get me wrong, MM Food will probably be pretty solid whenever it comes out, but will it be on the same level as Operation: Doomsday? I doubt it. I don't know about the rest of you, but 2004 is looking like it will go down for me personally as The Year in Which I Was Disappointed by Sooooo Many Fucking Rap Albums.

Por ejemplo, peep my review of Mos Def's new back-alley abortion of an album, The New Danger.

As far as this one in particular is concerned, I won't go into any real detail because I haven't heard it in a while and I need to sleep, but, basically, I thought it was really boring shit and while I mainly blame Pot Smoker, Comic Book Boy has got to shoulder some of the blame as well. I don't think either one of them brought their A games to this project. I think they just suspected (and they were right) that people would be so hyped about the idea of two cats who are such heavies in the rap underground that they wouldn't be too critical about the actual results. Obviously, neither of them are readers of The Infamous and Lamentable BC dot C.

Thanks, David, and peace to all of the other cats who write for this site. I look forward to coming up with all kinds of new, interesting shit with you guys going forward. No homo, of course.

7 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Haha WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

Madvillainy is hot hot shit, but I'll let it slide.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Byron said...

You're so wrong.

3:26 PM  
Blogger David said...

Psshh man Kweli is awful and I'm sure yr right about Mos but this Madvillainy shit is great and you clearly are a fun hater.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Byron said...

I didn't say it was horrible. I just said it was boring and overrated. Jaylib is way better.

4:42 AM  
Blogger David said...

Jaylib is better!? haha wtf.

2:47 PM  
Blogger rollie said...

madvillain is practically instant classic.

madlib is a hack producer for the most part (800% loops, makes him more of a pirate with a good eye for Xs on maps) but he has a good ear and doom is consistent throughout. can you front on 'figaro'? doom kills it and you know it.

i rap and i make beats. does MY opinion count?

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this album>

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home