Tuesday, April 14, 2009

ignorap

I've long been a big fan of some old school hard-headed ignorant rap music. I think more rap fans need to be honest about where theyre coming from on this count. The new CNN album was some really solid ignorant shit, & no it's not War Report level, but it is a real solid echo of that LP. I even wrote about it kinda ignorantly -- real talk, it's not my best-written piece. "A lot of knocks"? Anyway I reviewed it for hiphop.com a few days ago.

I guess folks are kind of wary bcuz of the kind of condescending, racially suspect attitudes that make ppl have towards (supposedly) 'dumb' rappers, and there is a fine line here no doubt. I'm not feeling a lot of the ways folks talk about Gucci's music, for example; I think tracks like "time to eat" have a lot of nuance & style. But some rap is like heavy drinking; both the listener & the artist embrace the stupid & accept that its a part of the experience of it, what makes it *work*. On some level, you just have to call some dumb thuggish shit what it is. And if Alfamega, Noreaga & other archetypal thuggish hardheads arent out there making stubborn roughneck raps then I dont want to be listening to rap. Really this is some 'well duh' shit I suppose but I think it bears repeating.

If u were feeling that LP too then make sure to peep It's Him (The Black Hispanic)'s "Who You" with CNN. Video just leaked and the track is some real epic NY shit. "Let my dog doo doo on you."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous lilmama615 said...

Yo... Gucci Mane is the shit. I agree with u very much about him. I'm feelin' a lot of Gucci shit. I enjoyed Gucci Sosa, Mr. Perfect, and Gangsta Grillz: The Movie all very much and he's improved so much as an artist but since people have a perception about him, they already pretty much put a vendetta against the music before actually allowing themselves to enjoy it or even LIKE IT. I'm surprised about some songs you left out from the compilation you made though. The song STUNT ft. Tracy T from Gucci Sosa, U know what it is ft. Yung Joc, and Get High are pretty hard. I can understand though because Gucci came hard on a lot of songs in such a short time. I recently read an article on him from XXL and it said that all of the music that flooded the streets was from hard work in a small amount of time but very very hard work to keep his buzz and his name in the streets while he was serving that time. I believed it really worked because many people are opening up their eyes because they actually like this dude's music.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home